Her Ideas of Feminism
- Hurston's feminist opinions are clear in her writing.
- Almost all male characters are portrayed negatively, especially if they try to control women.
- Her stories feature strong leading women
- Janie is a prime example
- Though her work faded into obscurity during her life, it became popular again in 1975 when Alice Walker published an article titled "In Search of Zora Neale Hurston"
- The article was published in Ms. Magazine, a well-known feminist publication
- Their Eyes Were Watching God was recommended on Oprah's Book Club.
- It is now celebrated as her most influential work, telling the story of Janie as a "fiercely independent woman."